Always use quotations around scripture verses and include the book, chapter number and verse number at the end of the quotation. Provide the name of the Bible version in your first in-text citation.
How do you quote Bible verses examples?
When citing a passage of scripture, include the abbreviated name of the book, the chapter number, and the verse number—never a page number. Chapter and verse are separated by a colon. Example: 1 Cor. 13:4, 15:12-19.
What is the correct way to write a Bible verse?
- Use a colon (no space) to separate chapter from verse (Acts 4:12).
- Use an en dash between consecutive verse numbers (e.g. John 14:1–6).
- Use a comma to separate non-consecutive numbers (e.g. Acts 1:1–8,13–14).
- Use a semicolon to separate one chapter-and-verse reference from another.
Are Bible verses italicized?
Do not italicize, underline, or use quotation marks for books and versions of the Bible.
How do I cite the Bible?
Title of the Bible, Version. Editor, Publisher, Year. The first time you cite the Bible in-text, include the name of the version of the Bible, followed by an abbreviation of the book, the chapter and verse(s). For subsequent references, simply include the book, chapter, and verse.
What are good quotes from the Bible?
25 Inspirational Bible Verses and Quotes
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. So we do not lose heart. …
- 1 Peter 5:7. Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the LORD, knowing that in the LORD your labor is not in vain.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14.
What are Bible verses called?
Bible verse numbers are a way to reference a specific passage in the Bible. The basic pattern is the name of the Book, the chapter number followed by a colon, and the verse number. For example “Genesis 1:3” refers to the book of Genesis, the first chapter, and the third verse.
What does the Bible say about writing?
“Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘Write all the words which I have spoken to you in a book. ‘” Books, whether fiction or nonfiction, are meant to be read. As writers who share our faith through story, we want the words that flow from our fingertips to be God-inspired.
How do you cite the Bible Harvard?
- Book of the Bible.
- Chapter: verse.
- Holy Bible (not in italics).
- Version of the Holy Bible.
How do you quote Bible verses in APA?
To cite a specific passage from the Bible, include an abbreviated book title followed by a chapter and verse number in the in-text citation.
How do you do quotes?
How to Quote a Quote?
- In American English, use double quotation marks for quotations and single quotation marks for quotations within quotations.
- In British English, use single quotation marks for quotations and double quotation marks for quotations within quotations.
Who is the author of the Bible?
According to both Jewish and Christian Dogma, the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy (the first five books of the Bible and the entirety of the Torah) were all written by Moses in about 1,300 B.C. There are a few issues with this, however, such as the lack of evidence that Moses ever existed …
What does NIV mean?
One of the Bible’s most popular translations is the NIV (New International Versions) and newer versions, like the ESV (English Standard Version) also sell remarkably well.
How do you cite a Bible verse in MLA?
The Bible. Italicize “The Bible” and follow it with the version you are using. Remember that your in-text (parenthetical citation) should include the name of the specific edition of the Bible, followed by an abbreviation of the book, the chapter and verse(s).
How do you cite the Bible app?
List The Bible as the title and use the translation as the version (MLA Style Center). The name of the bible app should follow in italics, then the version (if available), and app publication information. Format: Title.